I always loved cooking, however the first time I had ever made Indian food, was probably toward the end of high school. My friend wanted to impress her boyfriend (who was Indian) and asked me for a recipe. I asked my mother, who gave me this recipe. I went to my friend’s home and helped her make it. Needless to say, I believe that she is now married to him and they have a family 🙂 The first time I personally made this recipe for friends, I was in college. I love spicy foods and I had made this dish with an extra kick of red pepper. This sent my now husband and many close friends running for water. Despite the heat, they loved this recipe and always enjoy when this dish is served.
1/4 teaspoon of mustard seeds
1 stick of cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon of cumin seeds.
1 cup of frozen mixed vegetables
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of red pepper powder
1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon of cumin powder
1/2 teaspoon of coriander powder
1 cup of Basmati Rice (long grained..they sell brown Basmati Rice now, as well)
2 tablespoons of oil (Canola, vegetable or olive)
1 medium onion, diced
1 and 1/2 cup water
- Wash and soak rice
- In a pot with a lid, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, cinnamon stick and oil. Cover with lid and heat on medium, until you hear popping (from the seeds).
- Add diced onions and saute until translucent.
- Drain water from rice.
- Add spices, water and rice and bring to a boil
- Cover top of pot with aluminum foil and put the lid on (making a tight seal) and reduce heat to low.
- Cook for about 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, open pot (careful of steam) and check if rice is “al dente”
- Add 1/4 cup of cold water and close again.
Serve alone or with yogurt. I like to serve Indian Chicken with this dish.
1# After adding spices, water and rice to pot, stir in some large shrimp and let it cook along with the rice.
2# Adding chopped tomatoes after cooking the onions. Cook together for 2 minutes before adding spices.
One response to “Vegetable Pulao-Gluten Free”
I love spicy food, I would definitely like this one easily. Great recipe