Today is the 5th day of Hanukkah and for today’s themed food, I decided to make Chocolate Rugelach. I want to make something “traditional” for each day of Hanukkah, as a gift for my husband. I chose to make chocolate Rugelach, because everything is better with chocolate.
This was a tad tricky to make. You have to make sure of the temperatures of the butter, dough and filling, or you will end up with a mess.
Ingredients for Dough
4 oz of cream cheese (1/2 cup)
1 stick of Room Temperature unsalted butter (VERY IMPORTANT, ROOM TEMPERATURE)
1 cup of All-Purpose Flour
1/4 cup of Confectioner’s Sugar (powdered sugar)
1/4 teaspoon of Lemon Juice
1/4 teaspoon of vanilla
a pinch of salt
Ingredients For Filling:
1/2 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon of heavy cream
- Combine all ingredients to make dough. Do not knead too much
- Cut dough in half and wrap both pieces in saran wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Make Filling by melting chocolate chips with heavy cream, at 50% power, in your microwave, stirring every 20 seconds. Allow to cool to ROOM TEMPERATURE.
- On a floured surface (VERY IMPORTANT) roll out half the dough (leave the other half in the fridge) until the dough is 1/4 inch thick rectangle
- Spread ROOM TEMPERATURE filling, onto dough and roll into a log.
- Cut log into pieces and place on an aluminum foiled baking dish.
- Brush melted butter on top of each cookie
- Bake at 350F for 25 minutes
- Remove cookies to a rack. It will harden, as it cools.