I went grocery shopping a few weeks ago and I had found boneless pork shoulder roast on sale. Well, I thought, wouldn’t this be a nice break from chicken or beef one day. Into the deep freeze it went!
Today, seemed like a perfect day. I woke up this morning to many Facebook messages of “It’s SNOWING!” or “Flurries!!!!” Oh boy. I looked outside and I occasionally saw a few flakes. I love snow….within reason. At least we didn’t get our first blizzard of the season yet. Anyway, I had a few days of really full cooking days, so I wanted something simple. BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches sounded like just the easy dish to make. I pulled down my crockpot and set to work . The best part, I started this dish with a completely frozen pork roast. No defrosting necessary! I have a 6 Qt crockpot, but a smaller 4 Qt crockpot will be just fine for this recipe.
3 lbs boneless pork shoulder roast, frozen or defrosted
1 cup of hot chicken stock (or water, beef broth, pork stock, turkey stock)
1/2 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce
1 tablespoon of cornstarch (or 2 tablespoons of flour) *Gluten Sensitive, use cornstarch
- Heat up broth and add to crockpot
- Add roast
- Set the crockpot on low for about 5 hours
- After about 5 hours, shred your roast and add the BBQ sauce.
- Set your crockpot on high for 2 hour, with lid off, so sauce will thicken
- Should you need to thicken your sauce more, in a separate bowl, mix water into cornstarch until a thick liquid is made. Add to crock pot
- Serve on your favorite bun.
Crockpot BBQ Pulled Pork on a Onion Roll
*Gluten Sensitivity substitute: Served pulled pork over homemade Cornbread (substitute flour for rice flour)