For some reason, I didn’t want to make a chocolate dessert today. So I decided to make custard. I remembered that the last time I made custard, my husband got really excited. Plus this was a very easy, no fuss dessert to make (AND I make it lower in fat).
3 large eggs
1/3 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
*Gluten Sensitivity-Use McCromick’s Vanilla Extract-It is Gluten Free
dash of salt
2 1/2 cups of skim milk, scalded and then cooled
1/2 cup of sugar
- Preheat oven 350F
- In a large pot, start boiling some water
- In a smaller sauce pot, add 1/2 cup of sugar and on medium heat, continuously whisk sugar until it has melted (5-8 minutes). Keep whisking until all the sugar is dissolved and sugar becomes brown (Watch carefully because sugar goes from melted to brown quickly)
- Pour caramelized sugar into 8 custard cups (oven ready) and allow caramel to cool (10 minutes)
- Whisk together 1/3 cup of sugar, eggs, vanilla and salt.
- Add milk, slowly, until eggs are the same temperature as the milk
- Pour custard into each of the 8 custard cups.
- Sprinkle each cup with nutmeg
- In a baking pan with high sides, place some of your custard cups, leaving room for 2 more cups.
- Pour in your boiling water and add the last two custard cups. You want hot water to reach to the top 1/2 inch of the custard cups.
- Bake custard for 45 minutes (or until knife comes out clean)
- Allow to cool 30 minutes.
- To Serve: With a knife, separate the custard from the sides of the custard cups and place a bowl on top of the cup. Invert.