This is so far, my favorite dinner roll to make. It is soft, fluffy, refrigerates well, you can freeze the dough and it uses sweet potato (YUM). I made this, for the first time, Thanksgiving and it was well received. It is really easy to make, just need the time to make it. I would recommend this recipe to any first time breadmakers because of its simplicity.
1 cup of mashed sweet potato (see note)
2 cups of butter milk
1/2 cup melted butter
1/4 cup of sugar
4 1/2 teaspoons (2 packets) of active-dry yeast
2 1/2 teaspoons of salt
6 to 6 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Note: Take a sweet potato, pierce it all around with a fork and then wrap with plastic wrap. Microwave (turning periodically) until potato is soft. Then remove skin and mash.
- Combine all ingredients together and knead until soft. You will end up with a soft, sticky dough.
- Allow dough to sit in a greased bowl (spray top with cooking spray) for at least 1 hour.
- Punch down dough and divide dough into 24 balls
- Place each roll on an ungreased baking sheet and cover with a towel.
- Allow rolls to rise for 1 more hour
- Bake at 375 F for 20-25 minutes.
* I wanted big dinner rolls (For sandwiches later), so I make 12 rolls, instead of 24.