After two nights of Christmas leftovers, it became apparent, that even though we loved our Christmas meal, we were getting sick of leftovers. So I asked my husband: “What would you like me to make for dinner tomorrow?” He couldn’t think of anything. Well, we have been having poultry for a few days and I remembered that I had some ground beef in the freezer. I mentioned it to him asking “Why not a burger night?” He seemed very happy. Then he remembered we had Swiss Cheese. I added why not saute some onions and mushrooms.
Top that off with some Homemade Hamburger Buns (I made plain burger this time *Gluten Sensitivity-see note) and the menu came to be.
Ingredients For Burger:
2 1/2 lbs ground beef
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of pepper
1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms:
1 large cooking onion, sliced
1 cup of mushrooms, sliced
cooking oil (canola or olive)
- Combine ground beef and seasoning until well combined. Then make the meat into balls and flatten into burgers.
- In a large saute pan, pour about 2 tablespoons of cooking oil and add your sliced onions. Sautée until the onions start browning, on medium heat.
- Add mushrooms to the onions and continue sauteing until the mushrooms and onions turn golden brown.
- Heat another frying pan on medium high heat.
- Place burgers on pan (Do not crowd pan) and cook for about 2 minutes (medium rare) (longer if you want a more well done burger) and then flip burger over placing Swiss Cheese on top.
- Allow burgers to rest before eating (lets the juice redistribute)
Enjoy your burgers! I served our with Oven Cajun Fries!
*As in the famous In and Out Burger secret menu, try this burger “Protein Style”
A burger wrapped in lettuce, instead of a bun. You will have a nice crunch!