Last day of the year and I wanted to make something nice for breakfast. It is not often that my husband is home for me to make a nice hot breakfast for him. This week, thanks to the snow, has been an anomaly. The problem with nice hot breakfasts is that it usually entails using a good deal of eggs. I cook a lot with eggs and I think that we were both getting a bit tired of it. I did however, want to make Chocolate Stuffed French Toast. No problem!
4 slices of bread (crusts off optional)
1/4 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
3 tablespoons of heavy cream
1/2 cup of milk
(heavy cream, whole milk, skim..whatever you have)
1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
*Gluten Sensitivity-McCromacks Pure Extract is Gluten free
1/2 teaspoon of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 tablespoon of butter, cut in half
Powdered sugar (optional) for dusting
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine chocolate chips and heavy cream and melt for 45 seconds (stirring frequently)
- Cut crusts off your four slices of bread.
- Spread chocolate on two slices, leaving a border around the edges
- Place a slice of bread on top of the chocolate covered slices and with a fork, press down on the edges. Flip over sandwich and repeat on other side.
- In a shallow bowl, add 1/2 cup of milk, vanilla extract, sugar and cinnamon and whisk
- Heat a frying pan with 1/2 tablespoon of butter
- Place sandwich in milk mixture and coat both sides and place in frying pan.
- Cook both sides to a golden brown
- Place on plate, decorate with a dollop of chocolate filling and dust with powdered sugar.
2 responses to “Eggless Chocolate Stuffed French Toast”
That looks amazing…I will have to try!
It is a quick sweet treat 🙂 I hope you enjoy it Ari! You can also use cinnamon apple sauce, instead of chocolate for a “healthier version”