Spoonbread is a moist cornmeal-based dish that is popular in Southern United States. It has the consistency of savory puddings or Yorkshire pudding. I decided to make this dish to compliment my BBQ Sparerib dinner for New Year’s Eve. It is extremely easy to make and because the recipe I used is not sweet, it went well with the strong sweet and spicy flavors of the ribs. I will definitely make this again!
2/3 cup of cornmeal
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups of milk (divided 1/2 and 1 1/2)
1 1/2 tablespoons of butter
1 teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons of baking powder
- Preheat oven to 450F and grease a 2 quart baking dish.
- Combine cornmeal, 1 1/2 cups of milk, butter and salt in a pot and cook on medium, stirring constantly. At first the mixture will be very liquid but after a while, it will thicken and fast.
- Whisk together eggs and 1/2 cup of milk and stir mixture into the cornmeal mixture. Mix well.
- Stir in baking powder and pour spoonbread into baking dish
- Bake for 25-35 minutes (golden brown)
Serve with some BBQ Ribs