Today I was mentally taking stock of the kitchen. I had leftover dough, which I had frozen from my Mini Bacon and Egg Pies. I also had some deli meat that needed to be eaten soon. So, I decided to make Hot Oven Sandwiches. This recipe is pretty simple and you can use your favorite meats. Once these got out of the oven, I liked the idea so much, I am tempted to go and get more cold cuts to try different sandwiches. These would also make great appetizers or sandwiches for school and work! Only difference I would make with this recipe in the future, is to use this pastry dough recipe, rather than the one I used for the bacon and egg pies. I found that although the pie dough was excellent for the bacon and eggs, it was too dense for this recipe.
I made today’s Hot Oven Sandwiches with American Cheese, Turkey, Swiss Cheese and Ham (Ran out of Roast Beef).
(amount depends on how big you want your sandwich)
Your Favorite Cold Cuts
Your Favorite Cheese
1/2 tablespoon of butter, melted
sesame seeds (optional)
- Roll out pastry dough, onto a floured surface, in a rectangle (doesn’t have to be perfect)
- Place your favorite deli meats and cheese in the center of the rectangle
- Fold the short sides of rectangle in, to cover the edges of the sandwich and then fold the longer sides over to completely cover the meat and cheese.
- Place sandwich on an aluminum foil baking sheet and brush with melted butter.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds on top and cut a vent on top for steam.
- Bake at 450 F for 15-20 minutes (Golden Brown)
- Vegetarian Sandwiches: Roasted Peppers, mozzarella, zucchini, spinach, tomatoes, basil
- Chicken: Chicken breast, mozzarella/provolone, spinach, roasted peppers and pesto (My personal favorite)
- Beef: Roast Beef and Cheddar
- Simple: American Cheese
I would love comments on other sandwich ideas!