It was a quiet day and I had a hankering to make something. I have been talking about making cinnamon raisin bread for my husband, for a few weeks now. Every time, I was ready to make it, it usually was too late in the day (usually when I get really busy). So, I decided this was the right time. I even threw in a bit of whole wheat and oatmeal to make it seem healthier. In the end, this made two loaves of bread that had this wonderful caramelized sugar bottom to it. It literally tasted like a cinnamon roll! You have to try it!
Ingredients For Bread:
2 1/4 cups of buttermilk, scalded (don’t worry about lumps)
2 tablespoons of butter
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1 1/4 teaspoon of salt
2 1/4 teaspoon of active-rapid yeast (1 packet)
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 1/4 cup of oats
1 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour
1 cups of all-purpose flour
1 cup of raisins
Ingredients For Cinnamon Filling:
1/2 cup of sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
3 tablespoons of melted butter
- Combine all ingredients for bread. Knead until dough is soft and elastic
- Place dough in a greased bowl, covered and let it rise for 1 hour.
- Punch down dough and divide it into two pieces
- Place 1 piece on a floured surface and roll out into a rectangle, about 1/2 inch thick
- Combine sugar and cinnamon, from the cinnamon filling ingredients
- Brush half the butter and half the cinnamon sugar mixture, on top of the dough
- Roll dough like a jelly roll, from the longer side, into a tight roll.
- Place dough on a parchment paper covered baking tray, seam side down and ends tucked under
- Repeat with remaining dough
- Allow loaves to rise, covered for 1 hour
- Preheat oven to 375F and make sure there is two oven racks in the oven.
- Set a pot of water to boil
- On the bottom rack, place a baking pan (with high sides) and when the oven is heated, pour boiling water in this pan
- Place baking trays of bread on the rack above the water and close the oven (The steam will make a nice crust)
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or golden brown
- Cool bread on a wire track and allow to cool