One of my husband’s favorite meals is Sausage Peppers and Onions. I don’t normally like sausages, the flavors are often too strong for me but I was happy to find some mild chicken sausages at the store the other day. So I purchased my husband’s favorite sausage (Premio Sweet Italian Sausage) and my Chicken Sausage and decided to treat my husband to his favorite meal. Now, I have mentioned in previous posts, I am trying not to have store-bought bread in the house. I love making my own bread and aside from some English muffins, that are in the freezer from before I got the kitchen set up, there is no bread in the house, that I have not made. I am pretty proud of myself for this. So Sausage Peppers and Onions, gave me yet another opportunity to practice my bread making.
The trick to getting a beautiful crust, is to make sure that the oven has steam. So I highly recommend you do not skip this part! It makes the bread crusty and browned on the outside, yet soft on the inside.
1 1/4 cup warm water
2 1/2 teaspoon of yeast
2 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil
3 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon of salt
3 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
- Combine all ingredients adding just enough water to make a soft dough.
- Cover dough and allow it to rest for at least 1 hour (double its size)
- Divide the dough into six pieces
- On a floured surface, roll out one piece into a rectangle
- Roll dough (from the long side) into a log and press the seam closed.
- Fold the ends under the log and place roll on a greased baking sheet (you want the rolls to be at least 2 inches apart)
- Repeat with remaining 5 pieces of dough
- Allow dough to rise for 1 hour
- With a sharp knife, cut two or three diagonal slashes in each roll and allow dough to rest for 15 minutes (Try not to touch the rolls)
- Preheat oven to 450 F and make sure there is two racks in the oven. On the lower rack, place a baking pan.
- Set a small pot of water to boil.
- When the oven is hot and the water is boiling, place the tray (or trays) inside the oven on the top rack. Before closing the door, pour the hot water in baking pan beneath the rolls.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes