Dessert is always a necessity, especially when friends are visiting. Especially, when those friends, I consider like family. So, naturally, I was so happy, when my friend decided to visit and stay for dinner. I wanted to make something sweet, but I didn’t want to do the same old chocolate cake. So, I decided to do a chocolate pudding cake. This is an interesting cake. It is a mixture of small areas of cake, with some areas of delicious pudding and a chocolate sauce. Best part, easy to make and didn’t take very long to bake. I served this with some Vanilla Whipped Cream (see bottom of post for recipe). This recipe has 3 parts to it, so I have divided the ingredients into parts. The ingredients per part, are to be made separately, before combining it in the end, in layers.
Part 1: Batter
3/4 cup of all-purpose flour
1/4 cup of cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons of baking powder
4 tablespoons of melted butter
1/3 cup of sugar
1/3 cup of milk
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Part 2: Sugars
1/3 cup of sugar
1/3 cup of brown sugar
1/3 cup of cocoa powder
Part 3: Coffee
1 1/2 cups of HOT strong coffee (I brewed 1 1/2 cups of water with 4 cups worth of coffee grinds)
- Into separate bowls, combine ingredients from each part. Part 1: Batter, Part 2: Sugars, Part 3: Coffee
- Pre-heat oven to 350F
- Spray a nonstick baking dish (2 quart) with cooking spray
- Spread Part 1: Batter evenly into bottom of baking dish
- Sprinkle Part 2: Sugars evenly over batter
- Gently pour Part 3: Coffee over cocoa mixture
- Bake for 25 minutes until the cake pulls away from the sides.
- Allow cake to cool for at least 10-15 minutes before serving.