I needed a quick side dish to go with dinner. My husband and I have been trying to incorporate more beans and lentils into our diet. Normally, we did not eat much of them, until I read the heath benefits (Lowers cholesterol, controls blood sugar, anti-oxidants, helps with weight loss). This recipe is a twist on Black Beans Brown Rice, a recipe I had made before. I decided to go with chickpeas this time, just to be different. I would definitely make this rice again!
1 can (15 oz) of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 cup of brown rice, rinsed
3 cups of chicken broth
handful of chopped parsley
1 teaspoon of garam masala
- If using a rice steamer, follow the directions of the steamer.
- Combine all ingredients in a pot with a lid and bring to a boil
- Cover rice and reduce heat to low-simmer
- Cook for about 20-25 minutes or until rice is soft
- If you need to, add more water