Valentines day was coming and to celebrate, I decided to make my husband Hostess Cupcakes, a nice dinner and a crochet Android Robot 🙂 Hostess cupcakes are not something I grew up with. The first time I ever had one, was when my husband gave one to me, in college. I watched as his eyes lit up when he saw them in the store and how he savored each bite. Keeping that memory in my mind, on the 13th Valentine’s Day with him, I decided to try my hand at making it. I would recommend making this in two days. You want your cupcakes completely cooled before going to the other steps. My icing became a bit runny because I tried to make my own marshmallow creme (I don’t recommend that for this recipe). I am definitely going to make this again, the taste is worth the effort. Hope you all had a wonderful Valentine’s day!
This recipe has three parts to make. The Cupcakes, The Filling and the Ganache. The Cupcakes can be made the day before. Do not use the pre-melted unsweetened chocolate, that is now sold in stores.
1 cup and 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
1 heaping teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1 1/2 ounce unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 cup +2 tablespoons of hot, strong coffee
1/2 cup of mayonnaise (yes, mayonnaise)
3/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 cup of sugar
Directions For Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Place cupcake liners into cupcake trays
- Combine hot coffee and milk in a microwaveable bowl and heat for about 1 minute
- Add chopped chocolate and stir until melted (heat more if needed).
- Allow chocolate mixture to cool
- Combine remaining ingredients and chocolate/coffee mixture
- Pour batter into cupcake liners, filling only 1/2 way. You want the cupcakes to lay flat when it cooks.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely before continuing on to next stage.
Vanilla Marshmallow Filling:
- Combine all ingredients and with a mixer, whisk until fluffy
1/2 cup of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of espresso powder
4 ounces of semisweet chocolate, chopped
2 1/2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ounce of unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of light corn syrup
1 stick of butter
Directions For Ganache:
- Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan and stir until all chocolate and butter is melted.
- Remove from heat and beat until smooth
- Allow mixture to become room temperature
- Mixture should be still liquid but not runny. If it becomes too stiff, heat for 5-10 seconds in the microwave.
Directions for Hostess Cupcakes:
- Using a small knife, cut a cone-shaped hole in the tops of all the cupcakes. Keep each top, along with its cupcake. Remove the tips of each cone (and eat).
- Fill each of the holes with a small amount of Vanilla Marshmallow Filling.
- Replace tops, on top of each cupcake.
- Place a dollop of Ganache on top of each cupcake and spread with a spoon
- Place the remaining Vanilla filling in a piping bag with a small round piping attachment for writing (or use a ziploc bag with a very tiny hole in the corner.
- Make the characteristic swirls across the top of each cupcake