For Valentine’s Day, I planned a nice dinner for my husband and myself. Cannellini Beans, is one of my favorite beans. It has such a warm, nutty flavor. I decided that it would be a perfect accompaniment to the Oven Roasted Lamb Shanks, I was preparing for my Valentine’s Day Dinner. Best part, this recipe is very easy to make, can have many variations (spices, vegetables etc) and is a hearty meal, in itself. Enjoy!
2 (15 oz) cans of Cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 onion, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
2 carrots, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
2 stalks of celery, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
1 zucchini, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
1/3 cup of Italian style diced tomatoes
3 tablespoons of garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup of chopped parsley
1 teaspoon of dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon of dried rosemary
salt and pepper to taste
chicken stock (vegetable stock to make this vegetarian)
1 tablespoon of cornstarch (optional)
- Saute onions, carrots, celery and zucchini with olive oil for about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and seasoning/herbs
- Add just enough chicken broth (or vegetable broth) to cover
- Add Cannellini beans
- Allow stew to simmer until all ingredients are soft (careful stirring, you don’t want to break up the beans)
- If you wish to thicken the sauce, add some of the sauce from the pot to the cornstarch, stir well and then pour cornstarch into pot.
- Adjust seasoning to taste (Beans soak up a lot of salt)
Serve on its own or with your favorite meat.