I don’t know what about the word Calzone, makes me think of a hearty satisfying meal, but it does. I had been craving calzones for a while and finally, I decided to make some. Calzones, in essence are basically hand-held pies. It is normally filled with mozzarella cheese and ricotta cheese, baked and served with a side of marinara. This is my version of Calzone filling. I used My Marinara Sauce and My Pizza Dough recipes, to make these calzones. My pizza dough recipe, has gluten-free suggestions, so there is no reason, why everyone can’t enjoy the hearty taste of your favorite calzone!-
My Basic Calzone Filling:
1/2 cup of low fat ricotta cheese
1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon of parsley
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
Calzone Ingredients (you can use whatever you want), I used:
Sliced Provolone cheese
Thick Sliced Ham
Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
Directions For Filling:
- Combine cheese, egg and seasoning
Directions for Calzones:
- Roll out pizza dough on a floured surface, about 1/4 inch thick
- Place a slice of cold provolone cheese on one half of dough (makes it easier to pick up the calzone later)
- For Plain Calzones: Place 1/4 cup of ricotta cheese mixture on top of Provolone cheese and cover with mozzarella and provolone cheese
- For Ham Calzones, add a slice of ham on top of Provolone
- Place about 1/4 cup of ricotta cheese mixture and top with shredded mozzarella and another slice of Provolone cheese
- For Spinach Calzones: Add 1/4 cup of ricotta cheese mixture, on top of provolone cheese, place drained frozen spinach, shredded mozzarella and another slice of provolone cheese
- Fold over dough and seal edges of the dough. You should have a half circle now.
- Place calzone on a greased baking tray and cut vents on the top
- Brush Calzones with 1 egg, beaten
- Bake at 350 F for 30-35 minutes, or golden brown
- Serve with warm marinara sauce
11 responses to “Calzones! – Gluten Free Suggestions”
This is one of Hubster’s favorites… He like’s his classic, I like mine with spinach and cheddar!
mmm that sounds like a really good combo 🙂
See, I think this is another one of those recipes that you knew I would love lol. I haven’t had a calzone in years! So you think I’m going to make this recipe? Hell yeah I am lol. Love this.
I am glad you like it 🙂 I am definitely craving another calzone now. Hope you are having a wonderful day!!
Calzones are my FAVORITE! I’ve been craving them for a long time now. Do you have a whole wheat pizza dough recipe??
As for additional ingredients, my favorites are sausage, meatballs, fried chicken cutlets, sauce, mushrooms, fresh garlic & broccoli.
Mama Mia’s used to make the best ones in the area. Makes me miss our old friend Mario, the owner.
Mario made everything amazing. He was like our big, male, mom.
I am going to work on that whole wheat calzone dough for you 🙂 I am also looking to reduce the amount of white flour, I use when cooking. Maybe together, we can come up with some good solutions ❤
Yumm. This is just like the pizza to go, so handy yet delicious!
Yup 🙂 I hope you try it and enjoy it!
These were SO much better than the calzones…. I hate to say it….. in all the pizzarea’s in all of Brooklyn.
wow, thank you! That could possibly be the best compliment, I could get with this dish 🙂 I love you so much!