One of the many foods, my husband has introduced me to, is BBQ Pork Buns. They are this pillow like sweet breads that contain this delicious, tangy, sweet and spicy bits of pork and onions that simply melt in your mouth. There are several Chinese bakeries, near my home, that make these delectable treats. I have a hard time walking by those bakeries, without stopping to purchase one. The best part, is that they are so inexpensive and on a cold day, warm your fingers, while walking.
I decided to try my hand at making these treats. There are two ways you can make these buns: Steaming or Baking. I decided to bake them because it was easier for me to make a large amount (plus, I love the browned color that comes with baking).
This recipe calls for three steps, before actually baking the buns. While none of the steps are difficult, I recommend you take at least two days, to make these. The first, is to make the Char Shu (BBQ Pork). A few days ago, I shared my recipe for Char Shu Pork. If you don’t care for pork, you can always substitute with chicken. The second step is making the Char Shu Pork, into BBQ Pork filling. The last step, is to make the dough. Well, if you are ready to go, here is the recipe.
Step 1 – Char Shu Pork:
Make about 2 cups worth of Char Shu Pork
Step 2 – BBQ Pork Bun Filling :
4 teaspoons of oyster sauce
1 1/2 teaspoon of dark soy sauce
4 teaspoons of ketchup
1 tablespoon of sugar
Dash of pepper
6 tablespoons of chicken broth
1 teaspoon of sesame oil
1 small onion, minced
2 cups of Char Shu Pork, diced small
2 teaspoons of Mirin
Directions For Filling:
- Saute onions and sugar in canola oil, until golden brown
- Add remaining ingredients
- Cook until mixture has thickened
Step 3 – Dough:
3 teaspoons of active dry yeast
1/2 cup of sugar
2/3 cups of hot water (not boiling)
2 2/3 cup of all-purpose flour + extra
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup of canola oil
Directions For Dough:
- Combine all ingredients.
- Add more flour until dough can be formed into a ball
- Knead until dough is smooth and place in an oiled bowl
- Cover and allow dough to rise for 2 hours.
- After 2-3 hours, divide the dough into 16 pieces.
BBQ Pork Bun:
BBQ Pork Bun Filling
1 egg, beaten
Toasted sesame seeds (optional)
Directions for BBQ Pork Buns:
- Grease a baking pan.
- Flatten 1 piece of dough, in the hands (do not make dough too thin)
- Keeping dough in your hand, place about 1 tablespoon of filling in the center of the dough
- Fold over the sides of the dough, to enclose the filling, sealing the edges
- Place on baking pan, sealed side down
- Continue with remaining 15 pieces of dough
- Allow buns to rise for 1 – 1 1/2 hours
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Brush each bun with beaten egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or golden brown
Serve as a snack or side dish. ENJOY!!!
6 responses to “Baked BBQ Pork Buns”
I love bbq pork buns (steamed or baked), theyre addictive. I remember when I was still in Philippines this was my midnight snack for almost every day.
mmm…the perfect snack! I agree, so addicting!!! I want one now!
This looks delicious!!! Joe and I both LOVE pork rolls from the chinese bakery! These look better ❤ ❤
Thanks so much Ari!! ❤
I usually make pulled pork sandwiches in the summer but this is another way I can enjoy pork, some coleslaw, and homemade lemonade sitting outside at my grandmothers country home. LOVE THIS. Yes I am acting a little bit older lol, don’t hold it against me. Saving this recipe for later.
LOL 🙂 Oh dear..I hear that “acting older” bug is getting around. Have a great day!