Chicken, Cheddar and Broccoli…one of my favorite combinations. When I was in college, one of my favorite frozen foods was Chicken with broccoli and cheese stuffed inside. It was delicious…and expensive..especially since it was so addicting. I wanted to do a different take on this and adding a few extras inside. I used crescent dough, to make the crust (I didn’t have time to make puff pastry) and baked this to a golden brown. It is a beautiful dish to look at and tasted even better.
2 cups of chicken thighs, cut into bite size pieces
2 shallots (or small onion), sliced
1/2 cup of bell peppers, diced
1 tablespoon of garlic, minced
1 head of fresh broccoli
1/4 cup of mayonnaise
2 cans of ready to bake croissant dough
1 cup of mild cheddar cheese
1 egg, beaten with water for brushing
- With some olive oil, caramelize the onions and bell peppers with garlic
- Add chicken pieces and brown
- Remove from heat and add mayonnaise and broccoli.
- Allow mixture to cool
- On a large baking tray, covered with parchment paper, lay out Croissants with tip towards the center and the long edge to the left. Make sure you overlap the croissant triangles at least 1/4 of an inch. You will eventually make a circle (see slide show)
- If you have leftover croissant dough, use to reinforce the center of the circle
- Place chicken filling in the center of the circle.
- Sprinkle cheese over the filling.
- Starting with the last croissant triangle you placed on the circle, fold over the outer portion of the triangle over the filling, towards the center.
- Tuck in the last piece of croissant decoratively and brush egg and water mixture
- Bake following the temperature of the croissant dough for about 20-25 minutes or until dough is fully cooked (it will take longer to cook because of filling
- Plate and allow to cool before slicing