Hello all! I hope you had a wonderful day. I am pretty busy here. I will most likely, be slowing down my posts. I am gearing up to studying and I may be starting a new job in the matter of a few weeks. It will definitely not stop the cooking, but I will be relying on large batch cooking, so that I don’t cook every night. So, please don’t be concerned, if you do not see me post every day.
Today’s recipe includes lentils. I have been trying to incorporate more beans and lentils, in my everyday cooking. I have managed to slip in beans, frequently now and now, I am going to attempt to do the same with lentils. Did you know that besides the cholesterol reducing, sugar controlling, low-fat, weight reducing benefits from lentils, it is also an excellent source of iron, magnesium and folate! These three properties help the heart relax, reduces damage to artery walls and increases oxygen to your tissues (and thus making you feel more energetic). I can’t say no to that! I hope you give this recipe a try. I served this with some homemade rolls (to gather up the leftover sauce from the bowl).
1 cup of green lentils, rinsed
2 1/2 cups water
1 tablespoon of garlic + 2 tablespoons of garlic (minced and divided)
2 large sausages (I used Sweet Italian Style)
1 small onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 carrot, diced
1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
1 cup of chicken stock
14.5 ounces of crushed tomato with juice
1/2 tablespoon of tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon of celery seed
1 bay leaf
pinch of thyme
salt and pepper to taste
large handful of chopped parsley
large handful of baby spinach
3 tablespoons Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 F and place sausages in an aluminum foil covered baking pan.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, turning over sausages after 5 minutes.
- When sausages are cooked, slice into bite sized pieces.
- Place green lentils, bay leaf and 1 tablespoon of minced garlic in a large pot with the 2 1/2 cups of water
- Bring to a boil, cover and reduce to a simmer.
- Allow lentils to cook for at least 30 minutes (or until tender)
- In a large skillet, heat up olive oil and add onions, red peppers, carrots and red pepper flakes. Saute until onions start to brown.
- Add celery seeds, tomato paste, 2 tablespoons of garlic, salt, pepper and thyme and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add vegetable mixture to lentils and add chicken stock and sausage.
- Allow mixture to cook for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in parsley and spinach and once they are wilted, the stew is ready to serve!
Serve with Parmesan Cheese.
9 responses to “Green Lentil and Sausage Stew – Gluten Free”
This looks great and congrats on the versatile blogger award!
i love lentils!!! this one looks so good! im going to bug my mom to make it for me soon!
🙂 I am glad! Let me know how you both like it! Happy Cooking!
Hey, I forgot to tell you that I have given you an Award for your blog. View my blog to see it.. Have a great day 🙂
Awe you are so sweet, I will head over there now! Thank you!
Anything with sausage is a winner to me, add some stew, wich is my perfect comfort food, and I am in heaven. 🙂
🙂 I agree. The sausage definitely made the stew in this one! Happy Cooking!
I have never cooked with Lentils. Don’t ask me why because I just don’t know lol. But this dish really looks delicious. I might just have to try lentils out after all 🙂
Ooooo! I hope you try it and come back and tell me if you liked it!