Still in the spirit of the success of my Pesto Bread Sticks, I was looking for a yummy snack for my husband and our friend. It was a cold and rainy day and I wanted something warm and comforting. I decided to do a variation of the Pesto Bread Stick recipe, by using my Italian bread recipe instead. The results were a really yummy, gooey slice of bread that was not only impressive but very moist and delicious. I have to make this again. I loved the fact that when our friend arrived, the house started smelling like baked bread and the fact that the entire loaf was consumed that evening, with some of my marinara sauce.
1 cup of warm water
2 tablespoons of olive oil
3 cups of all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons of sugar
3/4 teaspoons of salt
2 teaspoons of active dry yeast
milk for brushing
- Combine flour, olive oil, sugar, salt and yeast.
- Add enough water to form a ball of dough (not too sticky or dry)
- Knead until dough is soft and elastic, then allow it to rest for 1 hour in a covered greased bowl
- Roll out dough into a rectangle about 1/2 inch thick.
- Spread pesto sauce and sprinkle Mozzarella and Parmesan Cheese onto dough.
- Starting with the short side of the rectangle, roll dough into a log.
- Tuck ends of dough under the loaf of bread, at the seams.
- Place loaf, seam side down, on a parchment paper covered baking tray and let it rest for 1 hour
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Cut small decorative slashes on bread (mine were too large) and brush milk over bread
- Bake for 25 minutes or until bread is gold brown
Serve on its own or with marinara sauce.
12 responses to “Pesto Italian Bread”
I MUST stop being scared to make homemade bread. Maybe this will give me the courage!
You can do it!!! I know how you feel. I felt the same way about pastry dough. Just have to tell the dough who is boss!
I love pesto!!! Looks fabulous!
Thank you so much 🙂
That looks amazing and it doesn’t help that I am starving right now… I NEED this! Thanks for sharing! 🙂
🙂 I wish I could make a loaf for you and send it over 🙂 I love your blog! Rufus introduced it to me 🙂
I’d never leave your house if you made that for me. I officially put my foot down. I beg you, please don’t ever make that for me. I fear that it will cause a relapse in my addiction to bread. 😉
lol awe 🙂
Now you know I’m not a huge bread person Samina, but by adding the pesto sauce and the cheese, I will definitely take a piece of this bread girl lol. Love this.
🙂 I will convert you yet! (j/k) Hope you are having a wonderful, sunny day!
I like that you brush with milk, not egg. This bread looks amazing. And look, a slide show! Very cool.
I am glad you like it 🙂 I am seriously craving this bread again lol.