Hello friends! Its been a while since I have last posted. Sorry about that. Life has been very busy, of late. As you probably read in my last post, we adopted our little Hiro. Everyday I am thankful we brought him into our lives. He is such an adorable, well-behaved and loving little dog. You can tell, I am really attached to him. I am also studying very hard for my exams and working part-time. By the time I finish my days, I am usually too tired to write. I will try harder to post new recipes. I still cook a lot but I prepare foods in bigger batches. Leftovers are a huge help, on days that I don’t have the energy to cook. I also love to freeze portions of foods, for quick “freezer dinners.”
Well, the weather has gotten cooler and it seems my allergies are not as bad as the summer. My air-filter has switched to a humidifier, which has been incredibly helpful. I happened to love the fall. Nothing says happiness than to cuddle in warm blankets and get filling and yummy foods. Plus, Thanksgiving is almost here (MY FAVORITE HOLIDAY!!).
As I mentioned before, with so many things going on, I don’t always have time for dinners that take a lot of work. This recipe for Pork Chops with Spinach and Mushrooms was a quick dinner I made for my husband and myself. I was surprised how flavorful the pork chops were, even without marinating. This recipe does also translate over to chicken breasts/thighs. As always, enjoy and Happy Cooking!
4 pork chops
8-10 oz of sliced mushrooms
2 cups (or more, if you like) of baby spinach
1 small onion, chopped
1 tablespoon of chopped garlic
1 tablespoon of thyme
6 tablespoons of flour
3/4 cup of chicken broth
salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine flour, thyme and 1 teaspoon salt and a 1/4th teaspoon pepper.
- Lightly coat pork chops in flour mixture.
- Reserve 2 -3 tablespoons of flour mixture
- In a large skillet, heat about 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium-high heat.
- Cook pork chops (2-3 minutes per side, depending on how thick your pork chops are) and set aside under aluminum foil.
- In the same skillet, cook onions, mushrooms and garlic until they start to brown. Add oil if needed.
- Add reserved flour and cook until dissolved.
- Add chicken broth and reduce heat to low.
- Allow sauce to thicken slightly
- Add spinach and allow it to wilt.
- Add any juices from pork chops.
- Serve pork chops over the spinach and mushroom sauce.