Asian style foods are probably one of the few food types that I will rarely get bored with. I think it’s the soy sauce but I can be a trifle addicted to it. Cooking Asian styled foods is also great because it can be so quick and healthy. Some days, I don’t want to spend a long time in the kitchen. A quick stirfry keeps the heat down and vegetable intake up.
Whenever my parent’s and I go to our favorite Chinese restaurant, my father loves to order chicken lettuce wraps for an appetizer. I always loved it but I am not a big fan of getting messy foods out side of my own kitchen. Remembering that fond memory, I decided to give this dish a try. I hope you enjoy it as much as my husband and I did 🙂
Note on Gluten Free Suggestions:
Soy Sauce – make sure your label says gluten-free. Some brands are made with wheat, other brands are made with rice.
Hoisin Sauce – also make sure of your label. I found a recipe for a homemade version of Hoisin sauce but I have not tried it out yet.
2 cups, of fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, caps chopped
1/2 cup of shredded carrots
1 small onion, diced
3-4 boneless chicken thighs
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 teaspoons grated ginger
1 medium-sized red bell pepper (I used some leftover roasted bell peppers)
1 small tin of sliced water chestnuts, drained
3 scallions, the greened chopped small
3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon garlic and chili sauce
salt and pepper, to taste
1 head of iceberg lettuce, remove the core and cut into quarters.
- Place a large skillet or wok on HIGH heat with a 2-3 tablespoons of canola oil (enough to cook the chicken)
- When the oil is very hot, carefully add chicken and stir fry for 2-3 minutes. You want the chicken to brown a little bit.
- When chicken starts to brown, add mushrooms and onions, stir fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add ginger and garlic, stir fry addition 1 minute
- Add your bell pepper, carrots, water chestnuts and scallion and continue to stir fry until all is well combined and the chicken is browned.
- Add Hoisin sauce and chili/garlic sauce and mix to combine – Remove from heat.
- Serve chicken filling with lettuce leaves, using leaves as a wrap.
You can also serve chicken filling with rice. Enjoy and have a wonderful day!