I was never very confident when cooking beef. It never would cook up moist and delicious, like in our favorite steakhouses. Since being married, I have had a lot of practice and my skills with cooking beef are getting better. I have done a lot of research into cooking techniques for each special cut of meat and found some really wonderful recipes and made many a delicious meal. This one, is one of my particular favorites because is it not only has a great seasoning but it was cooked to perfection without me doing any real work! Please note that this recipe has a prep a head step and you will need a good, insulated oven for this recipe. Enjoy!
Ingredients For Beef:
2.5 lbs Boneless Eye-Round Roast
2 teaspoons Kosher Salt (Not table salt)
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 teaspoon of black pepper
2 teaspoons of oregano
2 teaspoons of basil
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon of minced garlic
Ingredients For Au Jus
Juice from cooked beef
(After beef is cooked and rested)
1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour
(Gluten Free Suggestion 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch)
Salt/Pepper/Onion Power/Garlic Powder to taste
1 (14 oz can) beef broth
2 tablespoons butter
OK, before we start, let’s do some math:
Look at the weight of your eye-round beef roast. Mine was 2.56 lbs. Take that number and multiply it by 7 minutes: 2.56 * 7 minutes = 17.92 (Round up: 18 minutes)
(If you had a 17. 49 or less – round down or 17 minutes).
Again, my roast’s weight was 2.56 lbs. You want to cook 20 min/lb. 2.56 * 20 minutes = 51.2 minutes (51 minutes) medium rare. (I let mine go to 55 minutes-got a beautiful medium)
Ok, do you have your numbers? Lets start!
1) The day before you are serving your roast beef, season beef with Kosher salt, wrap it and refrigerate.
2) The morning before your serve (or at least 4-6 hours before you serve), combine the seasonings: garlic, oregano, black pepper, basil, red pepper flakes in a bowl.
3) Rub olive oil all over the roast.
4) Spread the herb rub over the roast.
5) Cover roast and leave it on the counter. You want to make sure this roast is room temperature before cooking.
Directions Roasting: (don’t be nervous)
1) Preheat oven to 500 F
2) Place aluminum foil on a baking tray and put a roasting rack on top of the tray.
3) Using a cooking spray, oil the roasting rack and place roast on rack
4) When oven has reached 500 F, place the roast into oven
5) Reduce the heat to 475 F and place the timer for your Sear Time calculation (Mine was 18 minutes). Don’t be scared of the roast time. Your roast will sizzle but it will be fine.
6) When your timer has said your Sear Time is over, TURN OFF OVEN, DO NOT OPEN OVEN!!
7) Set your timer to your Roast time (Mine was 51 minutes) and LEAVE YOUR OVEN ALONE, DO NOT OPEN OVEN!
8) Did I mention not to open oven? If you do, you will let out the heat and your roast will not cook properly..please don’t do it…please please please.
9) After your Roast time is over, take roast out of the oven and let it sit, covered in foil, for at least 10 minutes before carving.
10) Very important: Before you carve, at the end of 10 minutes, there should be the juice from the beef just sitting there, under the beef. SAVE IT for the Au Jus.
Directions for Au Jus:
1) Take the juice from the beef and pour it into a sauce pan over medium heat.
2) Add flour (or cornstarch), whisking constantly.
3) Add enough beef broth, to make a thin gravy.
4) Reduce broth about 1/3
5) Taste for seasonings
Serve piping hot, along side Roast Beef 🙂 I served my Roast Beef with a Sweet Potato Souffle (recipe coming soon) and some steamed broccoli and cauliflower. It was a big hit!
4 responses to “Easy Roasted Beef with Au Jus – Gluten Free Suggestions”
Great looking piece of meat!
lol Thank you 🙂
We haven’t enjoyed roast beef for the longest time. Thank you for the reminder of a life long favourite.
🙂 I hope you make it soon! Happy Cooking!