Despite the circumstances (Hurricane Sandy), it is really nice to have my husband home. We got to sleep in and best of all, we got to have a nice leisurely breakfast while watching the new reports. I have been wanting to try making Welsh cakes for a while now and this morning was a perfect opportunity. The recipe is fast, goes great with coffee/tea/milk and doesn’t require many pre-coffee brain cells. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
2 cups of all-purpose flour
1/3 cups of sugar
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
1/4 of cold butter, plus extra
1/3 cup of raisins (or dried fruit of choice)
1/4 cup of milk
Powdered sugar (optional)
- In a food processor or large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Add butter and pulse food processor (or use knives) to cut butter in to tiny pieces. Your mixture should look like sand.
- Add milk and enough milk to make a soft dough.
- Fold in raisins.
- On a well floured surface, roll out dough and using a 2 1/2 inch cookie cutter (or drinking glass) cut out circles.
- Keep cutting out circles until you use up all the dough.
- Heat a griddle (or large frying pan) to medium hot.
- Lightly grease griddle/pan with butter.
- Place circles of dough on pan and cook until light brown, each cake (about 3 minutes per side). The center should be soft.
- Dust cooked cakes with powdered sugar.
*11:10pm Monday. Seems the worst of the storm is over and the worst we had was some flickering of the lights. There is flooding of the nearby highway and some down trees but luckily nothing affecting us. I hope everyone in the storm’s way stayed safe and sound and recovery from the storm is swift.*
*3:20 pm Tuesday. Windy today with some rain occasionally. My husband and I went out to survey our area. These are pictures from the walk. (I couldn’t remove the pics of the Welsh Cakes from the slide show but they were really good!*
3 responses to “Welsh Cakes”
These Welsh Cakes look delicious. I’m glad you guys are safe! I’ve seen so many crazy storm photos from my family & friends in NYC, Philly, and everywhere between!
We were very lucky. The extent of issues was some flickering light, drop Internet for about 5 mins and cell phone issues this morning. I hope your friends and family are all ok.
A lot of trees down… everyone is safe. With my family; a smashed deck and a smash car, but none on the houses. We’re grateful!