Waking up this morning, the weather app on my phone told me it was 28 F outside. Time to walk the dog! Well luckily, he and I both have good coats for the elements. I think that Fall and Winter are probably my favorite seasons for cooking. Soups, Stews and Roasts: That is my idea of hearty meals. Plus, my kitchen gets really hot in the summer. Give me rib sticking comfort food to summer food any day! (Exceptions: BBQ).
Tonight, my husband is making some grilled chicken and corn and I thought that a nice soup would be a great accompaniment. So, I decided to make a Sweet Potato Bisque. Plus, its always a great time for soup! I made croutons using the Honey Wheat Bread, I had made earlier this week. It made a great topping, although the bisque was delicious on its own. Oh, did I mention? This soup is low cal! ENJOY!!
Gluten Free Suggestion: Instead of croutons, sprinkle with crumbled bacon or dot with sour cream and some thyme.
1 tablespoon of butter
1 small onion, chopped
1 teaspoon of fresh garlic, chopped
28 oz of Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
1 1/2 lbs of sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
1/2 teaspoon of fresh ginger, grated
1/3 cup of fat-free half and half
Bread, cubed into 1 inch pieces (I used Honey Wheat)
Parmesan Cheese (or mozzarella)
Directions For Bisque:
- In a large soup pot, melt butter and saute onion, garlic and ginger until the onions are soft
- Add sweet potatoes and chicken broth.
- Bring soup to a boil and then lower it to a simmer.
- When the sweet potatoes are mashable, turn off heat and with an immersion blender, blend soup until smooth.
- Taste for salt and pepper (to your taste).
- Add half and half and heat soup until hot.
Directions For Croutons:
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Place cubed bread on an aluminum foil lined tray.
- Drizzle olive oil and dried thyme over bread cubes and toss to coat.
- Bake for 10 minutes, stirring after 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese and continue to bake for an additional 5 minutes.
Serve soup hot with crouton, hopefully with a good friend or a loved one (or both, as I did). Happy Cooking and Happy New Year!!