Hello my friend and to all you mother’s (and single dads) out there, HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY! I have been blessed with 3 very wonderful mothers. First is my own mother, who has been always there for me and always pushing me to succeed. She puts up a lot with me and always remains my steadfast friend. Then there is my grandmother, who is my inspiration for cooking and all crafts in general. She is my heart and I love her dearly. Finally, my mother-in-law (or Mommy #2, as I affectionately call her). She and I are so similar and always know I can turn to her for anything. Together, these three ladies have shaped me into the person I am and to them, I am forever grateful. They bring our family together and make it complete. There is another mother, that I am just starting to develop a relationship with and she lives down in Virginia and is one of the nicest, coolest ladies out there! She is inspiring me to make more vegetarian styled food (who doesn’t need more vegetables on their plate!).
Today’s recipe is a Zucchini and Ricotta Galette, adapted from the blog Always With Butter. It is a pretty nifty recipe and if you are vegetarian, could serve 2-3 people and as a side dish, 6-8 people. I made this with Zucchini but in the future, I plan to change it up by adding tomatoes, yellow squash, eggplant etc. It was delicious and a definite make again recipe!
Ingredients for Pastry:
1 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour+ extra for rolling
1/4 teaspoon of salt
8 tablespoons of frozen butter, cut into cubes
1/4 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup ice water
Ingredients for Filling:
1-2 zucchini (I only needed 1), sliced into thin rounds (1/4 inch)
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
3/4 cup ricotta
1/4 cup good quality finely grated Parmesan Cheese + extra
1/4 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
1 egg beaten
- Combine all dry ingredients for Pastry in a food processor (or large bowl)
- Add butter to dry ingredients and pulse until all the butter is minced and flour looks like sand (Or use two forks to cut butter into flour)
- Add sour cream and lemon juice and pulse to combine (do not overmix).
- Add enough cold water (about 1/4 cup) until all the dough combines into a ball. It will be sticky and wet.
- Place dough in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- While dough is in fridge, slice zucchini and place on paper towels. Sprinkle about 1/2 teaspoon of salt over slices and allow the slices to sit for about 30 minutes.
- Combine the 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil with the garlic – Chunky Garlic Oil
- In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta, Parmesan Cheese, Mozzarella, Dried Basil and half the garlic oil.
- Season with salt and pepper (to taste).
- Preheat oven to 400 Degrees and place a flat baking pan in oven to warm.
- On a large parchment paper that is well floured, roll out dough into about a 12 inch circle. The dough should be about 1/4 inch thick.
- Spread cheese mixture in the center of the dough, leaving a 2 inch border of dough.
- Arrange zucchini slices on top of cheese.
- Fold over the borders of the dough over the edges of the zucchini.
- Egg wash the borders of pastry crust.
- Sprinkle the extra parmesan cheese over the crust and drizzle the remaining garlic oil over the entire pastry.
- Using another baking sheet to carry the galette, transfer galette (on its parchment paper) to the hot baking sheet in the oven.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until the crust is golden brown.
- Allow galette to cool for about 10 minutes before serving.