I wanted a comfort food that was easy to make, freezable, not expensive and on the healthy side to make for dinner. It was a long day and this can be prepped in less than 20 minutes, taste fantastic and there is plenty leftover for lunch the next day.
2 cups of uncooked whole wheat medium pasta shells
2 strips of bacon, diced finely (can be omitted if you don’t eat bacon)
1 lbs of boneless chicken thigh, cut into small bite sized pieces (Quicker: if you have left over rotisserie chicken, dice it)
1/4 cup of chicken broth
1 (6 oz) package of baby spinach
2 tablespoons of chopped garlic
1 teaspoon salt
Garlic powder, basil and Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Prepare pasta shells, as package directs.
- In another pan, high heat, add bacon and saute until the fat starts to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Add chicken to bacon and brown.
- Add chicken broth (Take the remaining chicken broth and pour it into ice-cube tray and freeze for future use)
- Add spinach, handful at a time until all are wilted.
- Combine with drained pasta and pour mixture into a casserole dish.
- Cover with mozzarella and sprinkle (as much as you want) Parmesan, basil and garlic.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until top is golden brown.
*Alternative for mozzarella topping: pastry crust made with soy butter or sauce of your choice 😉
My husband getting ready to dig into a chicken, bacon and spinach bake.