Ok, so I think I am crazy. I actually made Challah bread, for the purpose of letting it go stale.
I had guests this evening and I wanted to make a nice dessert for them. I decided to make a bread pudding, mainly because I have never made one before. Of course, with bread pudding you need whipped cream. For my wedding, my good friends had purchased for me, my constant kitchen companion, the KitchenAid Standmixer. You know what that means. Homemade Whipped Cream!
I hope you enjoy the recipe!
Ingredients For Bread Pudding:
4 large eggs, plus 1 egg yolk
3/4 cup of sugar
2 1/2 cups of whole milk
2 1/2 cup of heavy cream
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon of salt
8 cups of day old or stale Challah Bread, cut in 1 1/2 inch cubes
Find the Challah Bread Recipe here!
Topping for Bread Pudding:
2 tablespoons of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
Melted Butter (with extra to grease pan)
- In a blender, combine eggs, sugar, whole milk, heavy cream, vanilla extract, nutmeg and salt.
- Butter a large casserole dish and add 6 cups of challah bread cubes.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread cubes and allow it to soak for 20 minutes.
- Top mixture with remaining bread cubes and brush the topping with melted butter
- Sprinkle Topping mixture over the whole dish
- Bake at 325 F for 45-50 minutes or until pudding becomes golden brown and sets.
Serve slightly warm and with Whipped Cream
We had already started eating before I could take a picture 🙂 But here you go!
Ingredients for Vanilla Whipped Cream:
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 tablespoon of confectioners sugar
1/2 cup of heavy cream
1) Chill your bowl and whisk and make sure all your ingredients are cold before starting. I used my kitchenaid, so I chilled the bowl and whisk.
2) Add all ingredients to your bowl and mix until stiff peaks are formed.
3) Adjust for sugar and repeat whisking.