I have a few friends that love it, when I make them apple pies. I invited one of them, to our home before Christmas for a pre-Christmas dinner. For his Christmas gift, I decided to make him a big dinner, with everything homemade and plentiful. For dessert, I made him his favorite, apple pie. I used my Pastry Crust Dough recipe and made three individual pies. He really enjoyed it and I hope you will like making it too! This recipe for apple pie filling makes 3 deep dish individual apple pies.
Ingredients for Filling:
1/4 cup of sugar
2 tablespoons of flour
heaping 1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1/8th teaspoon of ground nutmeg
dash of salt
3 cups of peeled and thinly sliced Macintosh Apples
1 1/2 tablespoon of butter (cut into 9 pieces
2 teaspoons of water
1 tablespoon of sugar
- Prepare pastry dough crust, as written here: Pastry Crust Dough
- While pastry dough is refrigerating, combine all ingredients for the filling, except the butter.
- Divide the pastry dough into 3rds
- Take one piece of pastry dough and divide that into 2/3rd and 1/3rd piece
- Using the large piece, roll out your dough and place it into a small oven-safe ramekins.
- Add 1/3rd of your pie filling into the crust
- Add 3 of the pieces of butter.
- Cover pie with the remaining 1/3rd piece of dough, rolled out into a circle.
- Trim the sides of the pie and seal with a fork
- Repeat with the remaining two pies.
- Cut vents on the top of the crust, to let out steam
- Brush the top of the pie with glaze and bake at 450F for 40 minutes