Still stuck at home from the snow storm. I wanted to make something sweet but not chocolaty again (GASP). I had spoken to my husband about making rice pudding a few weeks ago, but I thought against it because all I had in the house was sushi rice. Well, why not? So, I decided to give it a try tonight.
Turns out, sushi rice makes a very good, creamy rice pudding. I hope you like this recipe! Keep warm and if you are in the snow affected areas, be careful out there!
1/2 cup of sushi rice
1 1/4 cup of water
1 cup of milk
1/4 cup of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
2 tablespoons of heavy cream (if you don’t have this, just use milk)
1 egg, whisked
1/8 teaspoon of salt
1/2 tablespoon of butter
- In a pot, bring sushi rice and water to a boil, then cover and lower the burner to simmer for 20 minutes. DO NOT LIFT Lid until 30 minutes are over!
- Meanwhile, in a microwaveable bowl, heat milk and sugar until milk is just bubbling and then add salt and vanilla
- In a separate bowl, whisk one egg with 2 tablespoons of heavy cream and slowly add the heated milk mixture to the egg, stirring constantly to bring up the temperature of the egg.
- Add mixture to the sushi rice and cook on medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened to your desired consistency. (You can add raisins at this point)
- Add butter and stir
- Pour into bowls and sprinkle with cinnamon on top.
- Have hot, warm or chilled
*My husband took this picture for me!!!!*