I am always looking for new ideas to spice up a simple chicken dinner. This dish is simple to make but tastes like you have spent a whole day cooking. The whole house smelled of this and waiting was the hardest part. I served this with Tapatio, my husband’s favorite hot sauce. The only adjustment, I would make to this recipe is two omit the olives and capers (I prefer the uncooked) and to use a bigger oven casserole dish (the rice expands). YUM! Enjoy!
2 chicken leg quarters, cut into legs and thighs
salt and pepper
1 tablespoons of olive oil
1/2 of an onion, diced
1/2 tablespoon of cumin
1 tablespoon of paprika
1 tablespoon of minced garlic
2 tablespoons of slice green olives
1 tablespoon of capers
1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano
dash of cayenne pepper
1/2 of a red bell pepper, diced
1/2 of a green bell pepper, diced
1 tablespoon of sugar
3/4 teaspoon of salt
2 tablespoons of tomato paste
1 cup of brown rice
2 1/2 cups of chicken broth (if you are using white, reduce by 1/2 cup)
- Salt and pepper chicken pieces and on a very hot pan, brown the pieces. You don’t want to cook the chicken, just brown the sides.
- Leave chicken in the pan and remove from heat, add 1/2 cup of water and let it sit
- Saute onions in olive oil, in a large sauce pot until onions become translucent
- Add spices, bell peppers, olives, capers, tomato paste and brown rice and mix until well combined
- Add chicken broth and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Preheat oven to 350F and arrange chicken pieces (and the water it was sitting int) in an oven safe casserole, with a lid. You want the dish to be much bigger than all the ingredients combined, as the rice will expand and will need room to cook, I would recommend 3-4 quart dish)
- When spice/rice/broth mixture is simmering, carefully pour mixture into the casserole dish and cover
- Bake for about 1 hour or until rice is cooked. If you need to add additional water, do so.
Serve with your favorite hot sauce or just alone.
4 responses to “Baked Chicken and Brown Rice-Gluten Free”
LOOKS and SOUNDS DELISH! Go Samina!!!
Thank You Lucy! ❤ Thanks for visiting!
I LOVE baked chicken, I eat it a lot and this is a different spin on what I make. I love new recipes! Samina, you put your foot in this recipe girl LOL
I would LOVE to try your recipe 🙂 I always look forward to hearing from you!