Ok, I need a chocolate recipe in here. It has been too long since I have posted anything about chocolate and my membership for chocolate anonymous (Hi Babygirl!) may be revoked lol. I had this delicious looking bar of dark Ghirardelli chocolate in my cabinet, waiting to be eaten and guests were coming to dinner. It was the perfect opportunity to make this deliciously fudgy cake. Please, use good chocolate (or the best you can get) for this recipe. You will definitely taste the difference is you do not use good quality chocolate. The best part about this recipe (aside from the chocolate) is that it refrigerates well. When I heated it the next day, it was perfect. I served this with some coffee ice cream.
4 ounces of dark chocolate, broken into pieces
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, cut into pieces (important)
3/4 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
powdered sugar (optional for decoration)
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Cut out a circle of parchment paper, using a round baking pan (I used a springform pan) as your guide.
- Place circle of parchment paper inside your round baking pan and coat well with cooking spray. The cooking spray will prevent the paper from sticking to the cake later.
- Prepare a double boiler: The mixing bowl, in which you are mixing all the ingredients should be heat safe. Boil water in a large sauce pot, in which your mixing bowl can rest inside, without falling in completely. (Like This)
- Place dark chocolate and butter into the mixing bowl and place mixing bowl over boiling water and whisk until all the chocolate and butter is melted together.
- When mixture is smooth, remove from double boiler and add remaining ingredients. Mix well.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking pan and place pan in oven.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Allow cake to cool for at least 5 minutes before inverting cake onto serving plate.
- Carefully peel off parchment paper.
- Dust with powdered sugar.