If I had mentioned before that I was a pretty fussy salad eater, my husband, is more a specific salad eater. His ideal salad, is one where there is more meat, than there is vegetables. 🙂 We were having some guests over and I wanted to serve something green, to brighten the meal. Recently, my husband discovered that he enjoyed baby spinach. That with some chicken, caramelized onions, mushrooms and bacon I had the makings of a salad. I served this with some Raspberry Walnut Vinaigrette (from the store) and it was a big hit. The leftovers went great as filling for omelets the next day.
1 onion, sliced
2 strips of bacon, diced
8 oz of white button mushrooms, sliced
olive oil (if needed)
1 chicken breast
salt and pepper
2 -3 cups of baby spinach
- Season chicken breast with salt and pepper
- Saute onions and bacon until onions start to turn brown
- Add mushrooms and allow them to brown along with the onions
- Remove mixture from pan and allow to cool
- Heat the same pan and grill chicken breast until the center is no longer pink (if you need olive oil to prevent sticking, do so)
- Allow chicken to rest covered.
- When getting ready to serve, slice chicken into small bite sized pieces.
- Combine baby spinach, onions/mushrooms/bacon mixture and chicken in a large serving bowl
- Serve with your favorite dressing